3/18/2009

Sleeping in halves, Sleeping in wholes.

Man Ray, Solarisation 1931, © Man Ray Trust, Paris / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2008
Ok, so now that i've reflected on my first post on this blog in a rather different frame of mind, it's obvious how ridiculously melodramatic that is (and there i was, hoping not to try and make epic introductions)

I'm a melodramatic person, it has to be said. I promise to not ever put anything quite as dramatic again. 

In my defense, i'm pretty lost in my work, lost in society, and lost in my head right now. This morning, i effectively just needed to get myself from my house to university since i'd unwittingly stayed at home the night before to sort some things out. Due to my knack for cutting off with reality, i had to drive back to my house 4 times after a half a journey completion down the dual carriage way to get an item i'd forgotten and crucially needed that day. That means i forgot four things four times and made a total of 8 half journeys. Amounting to what would have been 4 full journeys up and down. It was like a part of me was not even 'with me'. 

I was half asleep. This is pretty funny, because dolphins do this anyway quite literally. The two hemisphere of their brains sleep independently, and seems to serve as some crucial survival value- quite the opposite to the connotations of being 'half asleep'. 

I covered sleep some time ago in a tutorial. I think this video should be pretty interesting; i haven't really got round to all (6?) parts of it yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment