3/18/2009

The Ugly Love: An introduction

















As a wonderfully unsophisticated blogger, i’m going to try and pull this off.


Hopefully with some relative charm.


Last night, I was a disgracebook status ‘F.R.U.S.T.R.A.T.E.D’, at having come to the realization that a big part of my ‘interest spectra’ had almost totally disintegrated. Something that used to make me want to know more, was almost indistinguishable from the other things that i vaguely show an interest in and move along from just as hastily.


I’m being contradictory for a very good reason. I have an ugly love for Psychology:


Missable.

Replaceable.

Mostly now unfathomable.


At university, it is a rather dire science, that i sometimes feel is as cold as the laboratory. Just to demonstrate my romanticism; at the beginning of first year, i thought our lab sessions consisted of a mass of white coated first years observing wired bodies studying a Kanizsa figure or inkblots through a glass observatory. If not that, then at least some pigeon and coloured bulb action, please. It is not any of those things, instead we sit like zombies in front of computer screens calculating t-tests and pressing keys according to whether we see a word or non-word.


As a result of my failure to engage myself with my course, i'm having a bit of fun with it, starting a blog and what not. It's one last try of redemption for all those people, myself included, who have the ugly love.


Mostly, the blog will just be a ‘supplement’ to the topics i cover on my psychology course that will hopefully include art, music, films, books, interesting articles i happen to come across, and anecdotes from friends and strangers alike.


Bridging the gap between academia and general intrigue has never been more riveting. Because if i don’t have the motivation to keep this blog updated, then it inevitably means i don’t have the motivation to finish my course. If i do finish it, then it would be a complete and utter waste of my time.



No comments:

Post a Comment